3 Sept 2009

Lily Allen on Florence in UK Elle

So much for men. What about women, especially her peers in the music business? 'I don't feel I am in competition with the other girls', she says. 'I really feel this is the year of the girl, with La Roux and Little Boots and Florence [Welch of Florence & The Machine].' But What about the fussing with the radio earlier, listening out for Kate Nash? It isn't as simple as that, is it? 'I get pangs of jealousy when I hear people like radio presenters getting really excited about new music,' she admits. 'I kinda fell like, "Oh, I'm just fading."'
So are any of these girls on heavy rotation on her iPod? Pause. Smile. 'No.' Really? She laughs 'Who I really love is La Roux. She's a friend as well. I find it quite difficult getting on with a lot of [my female competitors] but I really, really like her.' I say I am surprised she doesn't get on with the other women in pop. Another pause for reflection. Perhaps she's thinking about some of the many opinionated outbursts that have earned her the tag in certain quarters of 'Loudmouth Lily'. 'When I was younger, I really didn't get on with them,' she concedes, 'but now I kind of do.'
Maybe she's being uncharacteristically diplomatic on the subject because she knows only too well what sport some people take in speculating on and tormenting young women in the media spotlight. Go back a couple years, before the ranks were swollen by Florence, La Roux et al, and it was just Lily and Amy out there, taking the flak. Winehouse's notoriety in particular cast a long shadow, from which it was hard for Lily to emerge. Both fond of indulging in bad behavior, the two singers became the unwitting players in a tabloid sweepstake: who would burn out first?

To read more of the article, UK Elle is available in most retailers in the UK, for £3.60.

No comments:

Post a Comment